Monday 6 April 2015

My first encounter with seed beads!

Hi!

I just had to laugh at myself today as I was stitching. . : ) I have read quite a bit about stitchers' trouble of keeping those seed beads contained during sessions of attatching beads to cross stitch projects. Having never used seed beads myself, I have wondered to myself : ' how hard can it be?! They are just beads, right ? '

Today it was my turn to stitch with those little Mill Hill sead beads for the first time and whilst I had full confidence in my ability to keep the beads safe and contained , I was more worried about attatching them to the stitched piece . I bet you can guess what happened next. . . ha ha !
Once I had opened up that tiny little plastic container in which the beads were stored in , it didn't take more than a couple of seconds before quite a few of those tiny little beads had landed in my lap and spread onto the sofa. . . and while I tried to pick those ones up , before I knew it more beads had escaped the container ! Hahaha ! By now I had realised that this wasn't going to be so easy , so I had to come up with a plan of attack ! I went looking through my freebies from cross stitch magazines and luckily I found a shallow , little metal box perfect for beads. . .



. . .and I tried to transfer the beads into it. Needless to say a few more beads escaped in the process , but I think I found most of them and finally managed to put them all in the box . With my newly found respect for seed beads , I was then terrified that my dogs would somehow knock over the open little box while I was attaching the beeds onto my project .


Luckily that did not happen thanks to a few shout-outs on my part : ) I could very easily see myself crawling around on all four in the livingroom searching for those blasted little beads. .  .haha!
Anyhow , it was soo much fun attaching beads to my project and I really loved the whole look of the stitching together with the beads ! I will show all of you the actual result later on in the month : ) I have a feeling there is going to be lots more beads in my stitching future , but from hereon I am treating seed beads with the respect they deserve : = )

Happy Stitching!

Annie

6 comments:

  1. Lol I haven't used seed beads on a cross stitch. But I own some for one of my projects I just haven't gotten there yet but I'm sure I'll be in the same boat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really made a difference to the project and looked great so I can't wait to do more projects with beads. . . despite the troubles I had today , haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not that I've had much experience with beads but I've heard these are great for taming them:)
    http://www.123stitch.com/item/Flying-Needle-Tacky-Bob/123-8795

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the suggestion Sharine! I looked it up and it sounded great; I've added it to my cross stitch wish-list : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes those beads can be pesky! x

    ReplyDelete

Reading your lovely comments truly makes my day, so thank you!